Walking Tour in Kalamata
Discover the sights of Kalamata with a local!
If you’re looking for authentic hospitality, fun and relaxation in one of the most beautiful cities of the Peloponnese, this 3-hour walking tour is just for you. Join us for a wonderful journey through space and time, where legends come to life and become a game, weaving the marvellous history of Kalamata.
You’ll stroll around one of the most beautiful coastal cities of the Peloponnese: Kalamata.
Our journey through time starts from Homer and the heroes of the Iliad. It then continues on to the Byzantine years with the Franks, the Venetians and the Turks, reaching all the way up to the 19th and 20th century, when Kalamata was reborn through the ashes and transformed into the beautiful modern city it is today.
Together we’ll discover some of the more interesting sights. You’ll not just find out all about their history, but also about the people of the time, their way of life and funny stories about their day-to-day routine.
The Walking Tour highlights include:
- Cultural Centre – Nikolaos and Regina Pantazopoulou Neoclassical Building
- General State Archives Building
- Church of Agios Nikolaos
- 19th century Classical and Neoclassical Buildings
- Mavromichali Square
- Victoria G. Karelias Collection of Greek Traditional Costumes Museum
- Frangolimna Square
- Old Karelia Tobacco Factory
- Upper Square / Church of Presentation of Jesus (Ypapanti tou Sotiros)
- St. Constantine and Helen Convent
- Archaeological Museum
- Amfeia Square or Paplomatadika (Quilt Makers)
- Byzantine Church of the Holy Apostles
- Othonos Square
- Varvoutsis and Lontos Galleries
The Walking Tour is available Monday-Sunday all-year round, either in the mornings or in the afternoons.
Official holidays are excluded.
Put on your walking shoes and enjoy a beautiful stroll through the streets of Kalamata.
Why tour with a local
Visiting a new place is always a unique and beautiful experience. You usually visit museums, marvel at monuments and the sights, go shopping around the main streets and maybe watch the people go by.
How would you feel if you were able to discover the old, hidden stories behind everything you see? Or if you found out about true stories of love and betrayal that have become novels?
If you have a local walking next to you, you’ll get to do all that and so much more!
What you’ll discover
We’ll meet up at the central square of Kalamata, Vasileos Konstantinou Square, in front of the statues of the Messinian war heroes of 1821.
We’ll take a leisurely stroll around the small alleys of the city and walk around the sights that interest you.
Half-way through the tour, you might feel a bit peckish, so stopping at a small traditional shop for a few minutes is a must! It’s the ideal way to get to know the rich culinary tradition of this area, tasting one of its local delicacies.
At the end of the walking tour, you’ll have time to do some shopping or enjoy a coffee in one of the many local cafes.
Before we bid our farewells, we’ll give you all the inside tips about where to shop, where to have the most delicious meal and where to have fun in Kalamata. You just need to ask.
To make your experience even more memorable, here are some tips:
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, a hat and sunglasses, as you will spend quite a bit of time outdoors.
- Notify us of any special dietary needs (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, flexitarian, etc.)
- Notify us of any allergies (e.g. food allergies, allergies to bees, etc.)
Small, semi-private groups of 5-7 people: 45,00€/per person
Contact us to request a price:
- For individual and family bookings.
- For private tours with less than 5 or for groups with more than 7 participants.
- Max. of people: 10.
- For transfer services or organize your tour and transfer from Athens city.
We can also design and provide tailor-made tours and multi-day tours in the region of Peloponnese and all over Greece upon request.
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and together we’ll come up with a tailor-made gastronomic experience just for you!
Included in the price
- Local treats / drinks / bottle of water during the tour
- Tour leader
- Public Liability insurance
- All taxes
Excluded from the price
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Personal purchases from local shops
- Transfer (optional)
- The Walking Tour may be enriched with any of the following experiences: Wine Tasting or an Olive oil tasting, the Traditional Food Tour, the Cooking class & private dining with Head Chef or just a delicious and filling meal at a traditional local eatery, upon request.
- Availability: Monday-Sunday, all-year round, excluding public holidays.
- The tour takes place either in the mornings or in the afternoons after coordination.
- Languages: English & Greek. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge.
- Family friendly.
- Wheelchair accessible 100%.
Mama's flavours reserves the right to postpone or cancel the activity due to bad weather. If the tour is cancelled, you may choose an alternative date or request a full refund.
Mama’s Flavours Health Measures & Guidelines for Travelers & Partners
Please read carefully this document before your booking.
Mama’s flavours is committed to caring for the health and well-being of its travelers and its partners. The following text specifies necessary health measures and guidelines that must be followed by all travelers and Mama’s flavours partners ... Click here
blog comments powered by