Walking Tour with Lunch in Kalamata Messinia
Discover the sights of Kalamata with a local!
If you’re looking for authentic hospitality, fun and relaxation in one of the most beautiful cities of the Peloponnese, this 3-hour walking tour is just for you. Join us for a wonderful journey through space and time, where legends come to life and become a game, weaving the marvellous history of Kalamata in Messinia region.
You’ll stroll around one of the most beautiful coastal cities of the Peloponnese: Kalamata.
Our journey through time starts from Homer and the heroes of the Iliad. It then continues on to the Byzantine years with the Franks, the Venetians and the Turks, reaching all the way up to the 19th and 20th century, when Kalamata was reborn through the ashes and transformed into the beautiful modern city it is today.
The Walking tour experience is available Monday-Sunday all-year round, either in the mornings or in the afternoons. Official holidays are excluded.
The Walking experience
Put on your walking shoes and enjoy a beautiful stroll through the streets of Kalamata!
Maria, our passionate food lover and local host, will be waiting for you at the beautiful central square of Kalamata, Vasileos Geogiou Square, (Πλατεία Βασιλέως Γεωργίου) in front of the Statues (Agalmata) of the Messinian war Heroes of 1821.
What you’ll discover
After a warm welcome, you’ll set off on your walking experience and together we’ll discover some of the more interesting sights. You’ll not just find out all about their history, but also about the people of the time, their way of life and funny stories about their day-to-day routine.
Some of the Walking Tour highlights:
- Cultural Centre – Nikolaos and Regina Pantazopoulou Neoclassical Building
- General State Archives Building
- Church of Agios Nikolaos
- 19th century Classical and Neoclassical Buildings
- Mavromichali Square
- Victoria G. Karelias Collection of Greek Traditional Costumes Museum
- Frangolimna Square
- Old Karelia Tobacco Factory
- Upper Square / Church of Presentation of Jesus (Ypapanti tou Sotiros)
- St. Constantine and Helen Convent
- The area around Kalamata's Frankish Castle
- Archaeological Museum
- Amfeia Square or Paplomatadika (Quilt Makers)
- Byzantine Church of the Holy Apostles
- Othonos Square
- Varvoutsis and Lontos Galleries
The leisurely stroll continues around the small alleys of the city and walk around the sights that interest you.
Half-way through the tour, you might feel a bit peckish, so stopping at a small traditional shop for a few minutes is a must! It’s the ideal way to get to know the rich culinary tradition of this area, tasting one of its local delicacies.
During our walking tour, you’ll have time to do some shopping and at the end you may wish to enjoy a mouthwatering local lunch in one of the cosiest Coffee Shop-Cum-Ouzo taverns in Kalamata.
Why tour with a local
Visiting a new place is always a unique and beautiful experience. You usually visit museums, marvel at monuments and the sights, go shopping around the main streets and maybe watch the people go by.
How would you feel if you were able to discover the old, hidden stories behind everything you see? Or if you found out about true stories of love and betrayal that have become novels?
If you have a local walking next to you, you’ll get to do all that and so much more!
Before we bid our farewells, we’ll give you all the inside tips about where to shop, where to have the most delicious meal and where to have fun in Kalamata. You just need to ask!
Are you a travel agency or company and are looking for a trusted local partner?
Do you wish to build a mutual, fruitful collaboration and would like to provide one of a kind gastronomic experiences or team building events to your travelers?
You can contact us and organize it for you in the best way possible!
To make your experience even more memorable, here are some tips:
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes, a hat and sunglasses, as you will spend quite a bit of time outdoors.
- Notify us of any special dietary needs (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, flexitarian, etc.)
- Notify us of any allergies (e.g. food allergies, allergies to bees, etc.)
Small, private groups of 5-7 people: 45,00€ / per person
Contact us to request a price:
- Max. of people: 10.
- For transfer services or organize your transfer from Athens city or any other place in Peloponnese and join the Walking tour experience.
We can also design and provide tailor-made tours and multi-day tours in the region of Peloponnese upon request.
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and together we’ll come up with a tailor-made gastronomic experience
just for you!
Included in the price
- Local delicacies / coffee / bottle of water
- Local host throughout the experience
- All taxes
Excluded from the price
- Light or full local lunch (upon request and at an extra charge)
- Personal purchases from local shops (optional)
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Transfer services may be provided upon request and at an extra charge
- The walking tour experience may be enriched with any of the following experiences: a Wine Tasting, an Olive oil tasting or a Honey tasting, the Traditional Food Tour, or the Cooking class & private dining with Head Chef upon request and at an extra charge.
- Availability: Monday-Sunday, all-year round, excluding public holidays.
- The walking tour experience takes place either in the mornings or in the afternoons after coordination.
- Meeting point and time: At the beautiful central square of Kalamata, Vasileos Geogiou Square, (Πλατεία Βασιλέως Γεωργίου) in front of the Statues (Agalmata) of the Messinian war Heroes of 1821 at 09:00 a.m.
- Languages: English & Greek. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge.
- Family friendly.
- Wheelchair accessible 80%.
Payment and booking
- Bookings: In order to organize your experience in the best way, the booking and the full payment must be made the latest 1 day before.
- For last minute requests, please contact us via email to check availability.
- When the transaction is completed the experience is officially confirmed by Mama's flavours through email.
- All payments can be made through our booking engine, bank transfer (you can contact us via email for this option) or Paypal.
- Cash is not accepted.
- Mama's flavours reserves the right to postpone the walking tour experience due to bad weather. If the tour is postponed, no refund is given but, the experience is conducted the next available date and after coordination.
- For cancellations from our guests, no refund is given regardless the time but, you may choose a next available date.
- All sales final.
Mama's flavours philosophy
Our scope is to provide to our guests - travelers a high quality personalized and authentic local experience that goes above and beyond their expectations. That is why we always prefer to organize private experiences to couples, friends and families. This applies also for larger groups for e.g. a group of friends or a team building event.
When you, our guest, are interested in one or more of our gastronomic experiences, the day is exclusively dedicated to you, your friends and your beloved ones. With this way, we enjoy a beautiful day together and at the end we say goodbye as friends!
Mama’s Flavours Health Measures & Guidelines for Travelers & Partners
Please read carefully this document before your booking.
Mama’s flavours is committed to caring for the health and well-being of its travelers and its partners. The following text specifies necessary health measures and guidelines that must be followed by all travelers and Mama’s flavours partners. Click here..
blog comments powered by