Two-Day Tour with Wine & Food Tasting in Northern Kynouria Arcadia
Experience the untapped beauty of this little corner on Earth!
In this two-day tour of Northern Kynouria (Voria Kynouria - Βόρεια Κυνουρία) in Arcadia region in Peloponnese, you’ll enjoy the hospitality of locals, taste home-cooked meals and discover hidden little villages and unique nature trails. From mountain peaks to wetlands, it is a place where history and tradition blend together to deliver gastronomic experiences that will awaken your palate and heighten your senses.
You’ll visit Northern Kynouria an area steeped in history and tradition, spanning from the Neolithic Period all the way to the Greek War of Independence in 1821. Its name, Kynouria, derives from the Ancient Greek word for dog (kyon) and is testament to the Ancient Greeks’ love and respect for wild dogs.
Ancient ruins and UNESCO World Heritage monuments attest to the area’s glorious past. Having passed from the Byzantines, to the Slavs, the Franks, the Venetians and the Turks, Kynouria gained its independence in the mid-1800s and is now an area with a rich cultural heritage, attracting visitors from across the globe.
You’ll discover hidden little villages, perched on mountainsides, and taste magnificent local products and food, prepared by Greek mamas.
The Two day tour is available all year round. Monday to Thursday. Greek official holidays are excluded.
Visit traditional villages, explore mountainous nature trails and enjoy local delicacies, at the foot of Mt. Parnonas.
Stop 1: Winery Visit and Local Wine Tasting
During this 2-hour activity, you’ll visit a well-known estate in one of the largest villages in the area, known for its local produce.
Established in 1989, the estate has been staying true to its motto since day one: Good wines are produced in the winery, but fine wines are made in the vineyard! You’ll tour the vinification and wine ageing areas and the vineyards, and find out all about the indigenous varieties of Moschofilero and Agiorgitiko.
The tour concludes with a wine-tasting experience, paired with local cheeses. Whether you’re an occasional wine drinker or a seasoned expert, you’ll gain valuable insight about local wines, tasting premium labels of the latest vintage each time.
Stop 2: Tour in a Greek Village & Full Lunch
This 3-hour activity is split into 2 parts.
Part 1: Coffee-shop stop and tour of the village and area
At an altitude of 1,050 meters (3,450 feet), you will visit a verdant village, known for its role during the Greek War of Independence in 1821 and its local folk museum, with exhibits highlighting the local history and tradition.
You’ll enjoy a coffee, tea or any other hot beverage and a light snack at the local coffee shop, before embarking on a tour of the village. Two locals, George and Vicky, will recount the history, legends and traditions of the village, while strolling through the cobblestone alleys.
You’ll then go on a small hike of the surrounding area, taking in the natural beauty, before returning to the village for lunch.
Part 2: Full lunch with local cuisine at the village tavern
Enjoy some of the finest meals based on traditional recipes, cooked daily by a local mama, who uses the freshest of ingredients.
In this cosy tavern, you’ll get to taste comfort food in hearty servings, by the most hospitable people you’ll ever meet. And if the weather is a bit chilly, you’ll get to enjoy all this next to the fireplace.
Meals are seasonal and include entrees, mains and dessert, washed down with local wine. There is something for everyone, including vegan and vegetarian options, while the dish of the day may include wild boar, pork with garlic and walnuts, rooster in red sauce, homemade cheese and vegetable pies, and fresh oven-baked bread.
Stop 3: Visit to an Environmental Centre, Hiking and Visit to Traditional Shop
This 3-hour activity is split into 2 parts.
Part 1: Visit to Environmental Centre and hiking
You will visit a picturesque village, listed as a traditional settlement, at an altitude of 950 metres (3,000 feet), at the foot of Mt. Parnonas.
The village has many hiking trails to choose from, some leading all the way to the top of Mt. Parnonas. The E4 European Trail also crosses through here. It is the ideal place for mountain adventurers and hiking enthusiasts.
Just outside of the village, there is the Monastery of the Dormition of the Virgin Mary Malevi, a listed Natural Monument.
The village is also home to one of the two Environmental Information Centres in the area. A local tour guide will tell you all about rare and indigenous flora and fauna, types of natural habitats, and local areas of historic, religious and archaeologic interest.
The tour can be combined with activities in nature, such as exploring the Juniperus drupacea forest, a rare cedar species, unique in the entire European continent.
Part 2: Visit to traditional local shop
Discover unique local delicacies, such as walnuts, honey and aromatic herbs from Mt. Parnonas, in a traditional shop right on the central village square.
Maria, the owner, will reveal some of the secrets of local products, including trahanas (fermented milk pasta), liqueurs, homemade desserts and spoon sweets, and excellent cheeses. As a matter of fact, her sour cherry spoon sweet has received an award in a Greek contest. She’ll even let you try before you buy!
Stop 4: Cheese Tasting in a small Greek village and Dinner
This activity is split into 2 parts.
Part 1: Visit to local cheese farm
You’ll visit a small local cheese-making farm, where Takis produces graviera, myzithra and feta cheese with milk from local farms. Takis will give you a tour of his farm and will explain the whole cheese-making process, from the moment the milk is received to the end product.
You’ll then enjoy a cheese tasting experience at the local cheese shop, accompanied by paximadi (double baked bread)and olives. You can even buy any of the cheeses that take your fancy.
Part 2: Dinner at local tavern and overnight stay
The small guesthouse and tavern are housed in the same building and they are among the cosiest and most hospitable establishments in Greece.
Stone-built and wood-crafted, the guesthouse is simple, warm and welcoming, ideal for all travellers, including families with children. You may also have the option to accommodate in an amazing stone-built villa in the village, depending on availability and the no. of persons.
The tavern, with its fireplace and rustic décor, is the best place to wind down after a long day. Sit back and enjoy the comfort food prepared by the local cook, which may include olives, local cheeses, fried pies, homemade pies, roast lamb and potatoes in the oven, fish soup, pork stew with celery and wild greens, fresh bread and wine.
The menu includes appetizers, a main and dessert, while vegan and vegetarian options are also available.
Stop 1: Greek Cooking Class and Full local Lunch
Depending on availability, there are two options for this leg of the tour: either lunch or cooking class and lunch in one of the nearby villages. Whatever the case may be, the food will be delicious.
The villages are located on the north-eastern side of Mt. Parnonas, at an altitude of around 500 metres (1,650 feet), surrounded by a rich pine, fir and fruit tree forest. The name of one of the villages derives from the countless plane trees in the area.
The area’s microclimate is so unique that it is possible for olive trees, pine trees and orange trees to grow next to each other, with spring waters running wild all around the villages. The area is also known for its juicy cherries, which are abundant when in season.
The mountainous villages are listed protected settlements, with stone-built houses, a traditional arched bridge and the sound of running water echoing in every corner of them.
After a short tour of the village, you’ll head to the warm and welcoming tavern for a cooking class with a local cook, who’ll unravel the secrets of traditional recipes, just like mama used to make, with chestnuts and cherries taking centre stage.
You’ll then enjoy a full lunch, with homemade appetizers, mains and dessert, accompanied by local wine. The food is prepared daily, using the freshest ingredients from the vegetable garden. And the signature dish? Spaghetti in goat-meat sauce. Don’t knock it till you’ve tried it!
Stop 2: Visit to Environmental Centre and Walking Tour
Perched on the mountainside of Parnonas, at an altitude of 840 metres (2,750 feet), one of the villages is known for its traditional Tsakonian architecture, with its landmark tower-houses and slate-rock rooftops.
Here you’ll visit the Environmental Information Centre, where you’ll find out all about the protected area of the village, the area’s natural monuments and local architecture, the traditional local forestry professions, and the Tsakonian dialect. The Centre is housed in an old school, dating back to 1870.
You’ll then take a tour of the ruins of the Byzantine Tower on the northern part of the village and marvel at the panoramic view of this traditional village, with its cobblestone alleys, which has been designated as a listed protected settlement since 1967.
The tour continues through nature trails that lead right to the chestnut forest, a scenery of immense beauty, spanning over 1,000 acres. The area is known for its chestnuts, as production used to reach 500 tonnes at one time. That’s why the village is also home to the Chestnut Festival, taking place in late October of each year, with its origins stemming from the late 1700s.
Stop 3: Moustos Wetland – Tour and Observation of Local Fauna
The Moustos Wetland is a designated protected area, integrated into the Natura 2000 European Network, and the most important wetland in the eastern Peloponnese.
It is refuge to rare, endangered and protected species of water birds, and a gateway to many migratory birds that fly along the eastern coast of Greece.
You will take a tour of the Wetland with a local tour guide, while you’ll also have binoculars, a telescope and related informational material at hand to observe the indigenous fauna.
The Wetland is also home to rare species of flora, unique to this area.
Stop 4: Koutroufa – Ancient Olive Tree
The last stop of Day 2 will take you to a unique natural monument: the ancient olive tree in the village Koutroufa. The life of this olive tree began around 2,500 years ago! It originally grew in a nearby olive grove, but in February 2010 it was uprooted illegally to be sold outside Greece.
Thanks to the swift actions of the town council, the cultural association and the locals, this natural monument was saved and replanted in the village square.
The tree is 4 metres (13 feet) tall and has a trunk circumference of 11 metres (36 feet). Its invaluable history and tradition make this blessed olive trees a unique natural monument, not just in Greece but worldwide.
After this last stop, our exciting two-day tour experience is concluded by driving back to the seaside town of Paralio Astros Kynourias.
Extra Gastronomic Experiences
Wish to participate only in some of our experiences of the Two day tour or in our extra gastronomic experiences or maybe add them to your Two day tour? Just send us and email and we will get back to you soon with a tailor-made experience just for you!
Wild forest truffle & Mushroom hunting & lunch
Visit to an olive grove, an olive oil mill & Olive oil tasting with a certified olive oil taster
Walking tour, rock climbing and local lunch in Leonidio, Southern Kynouria
Are you a travel agency or company and are looking for a local trusted partner?
Do you wish to build a mutual, fruitful collaboration and would like to provide one of a kind gastronomic experiences
or team building events to your travelers?
You can contact us and organize it for you in the best way possible!
To make your visit even more memorable, here are some tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat, as you’ll spend quite a bit of time outdoors.
- Notify us of any special dietary needs (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian, flexitarian, etc.)
- Notify us of any allergies (e.g. food allergies, allergies to bees, etc.)
- Small, only private experiences of 5-6 guests: 540,00 / person
- Min. of guests: 2 - Max.: 12.
Contact us to request a price:
- For more than12 people, please contact us.
- For transfer services or organize your transfer from Athens city or any other place in Peloponnese and join the Two day tour.
We can also design and provide tailor-made and multi-day experiences in the region of Peloponnese upon request.
Drop us a line at email@example.com and together we’ll come up with a personalized gastronomic experience
just for you!
Included in the price
- 2 full lunches & 1 dinner (includes entrée, main, dessert, wine and soft drinks)
- 1 overnight stay in a traditional guesthouse or a stone-villa depending on no. of people & availability
- Cooking class with woman local chef
- Wine tour & tasting of 5 wine labels
- Visit to a small cheese farm and cheese tasting
- All visits & activities of the main tour
- Greek local delicacies, coffee and drinks
- Local hosts throught the experience / tour guide
- All taxes
Excluded from the price
- The Extra experiences may be provided upon request, depending on availability and at an extra charge
- Personal purchases from the winery and the local shops (optional)
- Tips and gratuities (optional)
- Transfer services may be provided upon request and at an extra charge
- The experience is provided upon request and depending on availability. In case there is no availability for the day you are interested, the experience can be offered the next available date or choose another similar available experience after coordination.
- Transfer is needed for the Two day tour experience in Northern Kynouria (Voria Kynouria - Βόρεια Κυνουρία), a place located 1 hour and 45' away from Kalamata. Please inform us if you have your own vehicle. In other case, we can arrange it with our partners at an extra cost.
- In case the specific winery has no availability, the wine tour and tasting takes place in another available winery in the areas of Arcadia or Nemea.
- The cheese farm is only open June to November. Cheese tasting is available all year round.
- Lunch on day 2 takes place in one of two mountainous villages.
- Availability: Monday to Thursday, excluding Greek official holidays. For Fridays, Saturdays & Sundays, please contact us to check availability.
- Wish to participate only in some of our experiences of the Two day tour or in our extra gastronomic experiences or maybe add them to your Two day tour? Just send us and email and we will get back to you soon with a tailor-made experience just for you!
- Meeting point and time: The meeting point is arranged after coordination. Meeting time: 08:30 a.m.
- Return time: 18:30 – 19:00 p.m.
- Languages: English & Greek. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge.
- Family friendly.
- Wheelchair accessible 80%.
Bookings & payment
- Bookings: In order to organize your experience in the best way, the booking and the full payment must be made the latest 8 days before.
- For booking less than 8 days or last minute requests, please contact us via email to check availability.
- When the booking and the transaction are completed, the experience is officially confirmed by Mama's flavours through email.
- All payments can be made through our booking engine, bank transfer (you can contact us via email for this option) or Paypal.
- Cash is not accepted.
- Mama’s flavours reserves the right to postpone the Two day tour due to bad weather. If the tour is postponed, no refund is given but, the experience is conducted the next available date and after coordination.
- For cancellations from our guests, there is no refund regardless of cancellation status but, you may choose a next available date.
- All sales final.
Mama's flavours philosophy
Our scope is to provide our guests - travelers a high quality personalized and authentic local experience that goes above and beyond their expectations. For this reason, we prefer to organize private experiences to couples, friends and families. This applies also for larger groups for e.g. a group of friends or a team building events.
When you, our guest, book one or more of our gastronomic experiences, the day is dedicated to you, your friends and your beloved ones. With this way, we enjoy a beautiful day together and at the end we say goodbye as friends!
blog comments powered by