Olive oil tasting in Messinia
Open up your senses, taste with your mind and soul, and feel the extra virgin olive oil!
A 4-hour guided olive oil tour that includes a visit to the magnificent 13th century castle of a small village, a walk through an olive grove and an olive oil tasting workshop. A tour designed for experience seekers and nature lovers who have a passion for olive oil, nature, tradition and traditional Greek gastronomy.
You will visit a small village in Messinia, just 20km (12 mi) outside Kalamata, towards Ancient Messini.
The Olive oil experience is the outcome of a local couple for oil, nature and the land of Messinia. Their dreams found a home in a small village in Messinia, in their olive oil mill, their olive grove and the flavour of extra virgin olive oil.
Nowadays, their mission is to introduce visitors to the wonderful world of olive oil and help them get a taste of Messinia.
- Mid-November to February (includes olive harvesting).
- March to October.
- All year round excluding Sundays and official holidays
Join us for a 4-hour guided tour of the wonderful land of Messinia and its perennial olive trees.
Part 1: The Castle
Our meeting point is the magnificent 13th century castle of a small village, located in the heart of Messinia, just 10 minutes from Ancient Messini.
It is the ideal backdrop to unravel the history, tradition and myths of the castle olive trees.
Part 2: Olive Harvest or Olive Grove
Olive harvest (available mid-November to February) – You’ll walk through the perennial olive trees and meet local families as they harvest their own trees.
You’ll enjoy the experience of a lifetime either by handpicking olives and placing them directly in a basket or by picking them using a net.
Olive grove (available March to October) – Experience a guided 30-minute relaxing stroll through an olive grove, ending at a 400-year-old olive tree. During your walk, you’ll get acquainted with different varieties of olive trees in all shapes and of all ages.
The olive farm is also home to other flora, including apricot trees, orange trees, fig trees, apple trees, strawberries, grapevines and almond trees. You’ll soak in the natural landscape and get to eat fruit straight from the tree.
Part 3: Olive Oil Mill
Located at the heart of a small village, this unique mill has been around since 1904.
The 5th generation owners will explain to you the extraction process, while you’ll get to taste fresh and warm extra virgin olive oil, directly from the separator!
Part 4: Olive Oil Tasting & Food Pairing
What follows is an interactive olive oil tasting workshop by a certified olive oil taster. The tasting session includes at least 3 different varieties of extra virgin olive oil, focusing on sensory tasting, defects and positive traits.
The workshop may then be divided into 2 parts, depending on the time of the year:
- Olive oil & food pairing (available all-year round) – Discover the main principles of food pairing, combining Greek yogurt, bread, seasonal fruit and chocolate with different varieties of olive oil.
- Cooking class (available March to October) – You’ll get hands-on experience on preparing a simple Greek recipe, such as Mani salad, tzatziki dip or kagianas omelette.
Part 5: Full Meal or Light Meal
Full meal (available mid-November to February) – Feast on traditional, local food, such as lalagia (savoury or sweet doughnuts), pasto (cured pork), Kalamata olives, tzatziki dip, feta cheese, pan-fried saganaki cheese, olive paste, salad, hot soup and smoked sausage, accompanied by wine and ouzo.
The dessert menu includes diples (fried dough sprinkled with honey and almonds), galopita (milk-based pie) and figs stuffed with raisins and peppers.
Light meal (available March to October) – Get a taste of traditional, local food, such as lalagia (savoury or sweet doughnuts), pasto (cured pork), smoked sausage, Kalamata olives, tzatziki dip, sfela cheese, olive paste and salad, accompanied by wine and ouzo.
To make your visit even more memorable, here are some tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat as you’ll spend quite a bit of time outdoors.
- Notify us of any special dietary needs (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, pescaterian, flexitarian, etc).
- Notify us of any allergies (e.g. food allergies, allergies to bees, etc.).
Semi-private groups of 4-7 persons: 108,00 € / per person
Contact us to request a price:
- If you have children up to 12 years old.
- For individual bookings.
- For groups with less than 4 or more than 7 participants.
We can also arrange private tailor-made tours upon request. Contact us for a private tour.
Included in the price
- Transfer by mini van
- Hotel pick-up within Kalamata
- Tour leader / driver
- Public Liability Insurance
- All taxes
Excluded from the price
- Tips & graduities (optional)
- Availability: Tours are available Monday to Saturday, excluding Sundays and official holidays
- Departure time: 09.00 am
- Languages: English & Greek. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge.
- Family friendly.
- Wheelchair accesible 100%.
If you have your own vehicle and want to opt out of the hotel pick up, you can meet us in Kalamata, and make the tour together with your vehicle!
Mama's flavours reserves the right to postpone or cancel the activity due to bad weather. If the tour is cancelled, you may choose an alternative date or request a full refund.
blog comments powered by