Cooking class with Lunch in an Agrotourism Unit in Arcadia
Local gastronomy meets history and the rich cultural heritage of Arcadia region!
A 6-hour gastronomic experience that includes a tour of the agrotourism unit, the traditional food preparation area, the cookware museum and the village. Experience the best that Greek nature has to offer, learn some of the secrets of the Greek cuisine and feast on traditional local products in an amazing agrotourism unit.
You will visit an Agrotourism unit and an Arcadian workshop in a small village, located 70km (45 mi) from Kalamata in the heart of mountainous Arcadia region in Peloponnese.
The workshop produces traditional products and is inspired by the Arcadian nature. Built on 2.5 acres of land, the place offers stunning views towards Mt. Lykaio and the village of Karytaina.
The two-storey stone-built establishment also houses a library with over 650 cookbooks, where you can discover age-old local recipes; a Cookware Museum, showcasing items used by Greek housewives in villages as far back as the beginning of the 1900s; and a restaurant that serves local delicacies.
- All-year round, Monday - Sunday excluding official holidays.
- March to October for vegie picking.
The Culinary and Cultural experience
Join us for a 6-hour tour of the Agrotourism unit and the Arcadian workshop.
Part 1: Tour in the fields and Veggie Picking
You’ll get to enjoy a tour in the fields, pick fresh veggies from the garden and feel closer to nature than ever (available from March to October). And if you visit it in June, you can even participate in the wheat harvesting in the wheat fields!
Part 2: Visit of the traditional Workshop
You’ll participate in a guided tour of the Arcadian workshop, including the traditional food preparation area, the Cookware Museum and the library.
Leaf through old cookbooks and view rare 19th century photos in the library. Or take a step back in time and get a taste of village life back in the 1900s in the Museum.
Part 3: Cooking class with a local mum
You may also participate in a Greek cooking class with a local cook, and learn how to make kolokythopita (courgette or pumpkin pie), tzatziki, trachanokeftedes (fermented milk pasta balls), rooster with hylopites (egg pasta), glyka tou koutaliou (spoon sweets), marmalades, or other local food and delights. What could be better than enjoying authentic Mediterranean cuisine prepared by your own two hands?
Part 4: Traditional Local Feast
You'll have lunch at the restaurant, where you will feast on local products from the Arcadian workshop and other Greek local producers. The meal includes appetizers, mains and dessert, accompanied by organic wine (red, white or rose), soft drinks, Greek coffee or tea.
Part 5: Shopping at the gift shop (optional)
You’ll get the chance to find more than 50 local delicacies at the gift shop, including walnut kourabiethes, melomakarona, skaltsounia, pasta, spoon sweets, pine honey, local myzithra cheese, and Greek herbs and spices.
What’s more, you can lock a bit of Greek flavour in your suitcases and take it back home, by selecting any of the amazing products available for sale.
Part 6: Stroll through the Village (if time permits)
Enjoy a stroll through the small cobblestone lanes and immerse yourself in the local culture. Find out the local history of the small village and the humble beginnings of the Arcadian workshop back in 1980.
Extra Experiences (upon request)
Depending on availability and season, you may participate in extra experiences.
1. Visit to an agrotourism farm with deer with local Liqueur tasting and full lunch
Live an experience of a lifetime by visiting an agrotourism farm with deer very close to the agrotourism unit! Feed the animals, collect nuts and fruits directly from the trees of the farm, like chestnut and walnut trees, apple and plum trees and enjoy a liqueur tasting of local, homemade liqueurs! Your amazing experience will conclude with a delicious, full local lunch in the agrotourism unit of the nearby village.
2. Visit to a model sheep farm & local cheese tasting with full traditional lunch
Be a stock breeder for one day and enjoy nature at its best! Visit and experience a unique tour of a model sheep farm in a nearer village by α local owner. Learn everything about the hard work of the stock-breeding and the operation of the sheep farm.
You will have the chance to feed the animals and if it is the summer season you can also participate in the sheep's haircut! Of course you will try all the traditional Greek cheeses produced in the farm through a wonderful cheese tasting and you will conclude your tour with a delicious, full local lunch in the agrotourism unit of the nearby village.
3. Bread Making in Wood-Fired Oven
Experience the amazing aroma of freshly baked bread. You’ll get the chance to make your own embroidered bread from scratch along with the local women and bake it in a traditional wooden fired oven. You can also take it with you! Only available from March to October.
4. Visit to the Greek Primary School Museum
Find out the interesting history of the Greek education through rare documents, school items and original photographs while you listen to old stories. The Museum is located right next to the agrotourism unit.
Are you a travel agency or company and looking for a trusted, local partner?
Do you wish to build a mutual, fruitful collaboration and would like to provide one of a kind gastronomic experiences or team building events to your travelers?
You can contact us and organize it for you in the best way possible!
To make your visit even more memorable, here are some tips:
- Wear comfortable shoes and a hat as you’ll spend quite a bit of time outdoors.
- Notify us of any special dietary needs (e.g. vegetarian, vegan, pescaterian, flexitarian, etc).
- Notify us of any allergies (e.g. food allergies, allergies to bees, etc.).
Small, private groups of 5-7 people: 95,00 € / per person
Contact us to request a price:
- Max. of people: 12. For more than 12 people, please contact us.
- For transfer services or organize your transfer from Athens city or any other place in Peloponnese and join the culinary experience.
We can also design and provide tailor-made tours and multi-day tours in the region of Peloponnese upon request.
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org and together we’ll come up with a tailor-made gastronomic experience
just for you!
Included in the price
- Greek Cooking class, full local lunch and drinks
- Greek local delicacies, visits and activities of the main tour
- Local hosts / local chef throughout the experience
- All taxes
Excluded from the price
- The Extra experiences may be provided upon request, depending on availability and at an extra charge
- Personal purchases from the workshop (optional)
- Tips & gratuities (optional)
- Transfer services may be provided upon request and at an extra charge
- The experience is provided upon request and depending on availability. In case there is no availability for the day you are interested, the experience can be conducted the next available date or choose another similar available experience after coordination.
- Transfer is needed to visit the Arcadian workshop in Arcadia which is located 1 hour away from Kalamata. Please inform us if you have your own vehicle. In other case, we can arrange it with our partners at an extra cost.
- Availability: Monday to Sunday, excluding official holidays.
- The culinary experience may be combined with accommodation in a traditional 3 level-stone villa in the village (the booking must be completed the latest 15-20 days before and includes local breakfast).
- The Extra Experiences No. 1 and 2 and other outdoor activities in nature like horse riding, hiking or rafting may be provided individually upon request.
- The agrotourism unit is also suitable for School groups.
- Meeting point & time: In front of the Port Authority Offices in Kalamata at 08.30 a.m.
- Languages: English & Greek. Other languages can be provided at an extra charge.
- Family friendly.
- Wheelchair accesible 100%.
Bookings & payment
- Bookings: In order to organize your experience in the best way, the booking and the full payment must be made the latest 3 days before.
- For booking less than 3 days or last minute requests, please contact us via email to check availability.
- When the booking and the transaction are completed, the experience is officially confirmed by Mama's flavours through email.
- All payments can be made through our booking engine, bank transfer (you can contact us via email for this option) or Paypal.
- Cash is not accepted.
- Mama's flavours reserves the right to postpone the culinary experience due to bad weather. If it is postponed, no refund is given but, the experience is conducted the next available date after coordination.
- For cancellations from our guests, no refund is given regardless the time but, you may choose a next available date.
- All sales final.
Mama's flavours philosophy
Our scope is to provide our guests - travelers a high quality personalized and authentic local experience that goes above and beyond their expectations. For this reason, we prefer to organize private experiences to couples, friends and families. This applies also for larger groups e.g. a group of friends or a team building event.
When you, our guest, book one or more of our gastronomic experiences, the day is dedicated to you, your friends and your beloved ones. With this way, we enjoy a beautiful day together and at the end we say goodbye as friends!
Mama’s Flavours Health Measures & Guidelines for Travelers & Partners
Please read carefully this document before your booking.
Mama’s flavours is committed to caring for the health and well-being of its travelers and its partners. The following text specifies necessary health measures and guidelines that must be followed by all travelers and Mama’s flavours partners…Click here..
Excited from the above experience? There is more to discover!
A visit to another nearer, mountainous village in Arcadia where you will enjoy:
- A visit to a small cheese farm and cheese tasting. Learn how traditional cheese is made along with a Greek cheese maker.
- A visit to a workshop with traditional Greek products. Make your own pasta from scratch.
- Tour in the village along with a local. Find out the long history of the village through fantastic narrations of the locals.
- A wonderful cooking class along with a local chef in the village restaurant. Unfold your culinary skills or discover them, by making orange pie, bougatsa (sweet pie made of milk & semolina in crispy lawyers of phyllo pastry), loukoumades (small round pieces of dough deep fried topped with honey, cinnamon & chopped walnuts), dolmades, tiganopsoma (thin or thick pieces of dough cooked in a pan) or any other Greek, seasonal food and delicacy with the freshest of ingredients!
- A visit to the Silver-Gold Smithery School of the area. Learn the history of the oldest Schools in Arcadia and how silver and gold jewellery are made by local experts who will show you their techniques and secrets.
- A chance to wind down in a stone-wooden villa or house or in the small cozy hotel of the village.
For requests and other additional info, contact us via email!
blog comments powered by